Main IndexAuto Repair Home Search Posts SEARCH
Who's Online WHO'S
Log in LOG

Search Auto Parts

need help identifying a part

  Email This Post


Apr 19, 2019, 10:06 PM

Post #1 of 2 (825 views)
need help identifying a part Sign In

Hello fellas,

I would like to know what this part is and maybe get insight on how hard it would be to change as I suspect it might be bent and cause issues with my car.

I've got a 2005 Hyundai xg350 (so 3.5L engine ) about 190000km on it.. and in the back, behind the wheel is this vertical part I don't know what it's called but it seems attached to several things, and I was wondering if this is a job I can do myself or if I might f*ck sh*t up by attempting to change it given its close to and I didn't notice but, might also even be attached to the coil and or strut of the suspension... I like working on the car myself for both the enjoyment of doing it and the money saved on labor, but I don't want to render my car unusable and have to god knows what to get it fixed which might cost even more than just taking it in right away...

Thanks to any of you who can provide insight on this situation and have yourselves a great weekend and a happy Easter!!


Tom Greenleaf
Ultimate Carjunky / Moderator
Tom Greenleaf profile image

Apr 19, 2019, 11:19 PM

Post #2 of 2 (820 views)
Re: need help identifying a part Sign In

Good try at the picture John. That's what I would name a "Spindle*" for a "MacPherson" type suspension. (edit in: Other names may work = lower control arm, hub housing assembly. Why different names? It's by the maker, language conversions - like that for many things)
Stop for a second and tell me/us why you think it's bent? It would take quite an impact to bend it and then question if that only bent or where it mounts is also bent or both?
If so that's harsh damage IMO makes me have to ask how it happened and if this is so bent it's no longer worth it yet to be determined.

Is this one side or both? It would show up on an alignment machine that it's so far off it's beyond any adjustment.

The snag is if fixed do you wish to go nuts, do both sides and make it all perfect again and price out this stuff used, new and what might need to be straightened if some accident.

Pic is fuzzy still doesn't matter it would be measured by machines unless you plain see a bend that doesn't belong is a big word "asymmetrically'' opposite or a mirror image of the same thing on the other side.

Service to this stuff is always best to do both sides equally by this age make the call to go for it totally or if bad enough it becomes the donor for another or is NOT worth the cost of total proper fix, both sides matching so it's safe again and doesn't just chew up tires and drives properly.

Perhaps an auto body shop would be best to do some measuring and make the call as if an accident use that for your decision on fix or move on depending on what the whole deal is.

They don't just bend over time by themselves so what happened if you know?


(This post was edited by Tom Greenleaf on Apr 20, 2019, 10:20 AM)

  Email This Post

Feed Button

Search for (options) Privacy Sitemap