Main IndexAuto Repair Home Search Posts SEARCH
Who's Online WHO'S
Log in LOG

Search Auto Parts

How are those named

  Email This Post


Aug 26, 2014, 12:32 PM

Post #1 of 4 (844 views)
How are those named Sign In


What are those tools named (those on the bottom) in what are they better than the regular one ? Thanks

(This post was edited by philippepom on Aug 26, 2014, 12:33 PM)

Tom Greenleaf
Ultimate Carjunky / Moderator
Tom Greenleaf profile image

Aug 26, 2014, 12:54 PM

Post #2 of 4 (836 views)
Re: How are those named Sign In

Those are what I call "flare nut" wrenches. The idea is they grab much more % of the nut than an open end one and much less apt to round it off.

Used on tubing commonly brake lines, cooling lines, fuel lines. Use those not open ended ones when needed. Just FYI the part to watch if old or corrosion exists is that the line doesn't spin with the nut or you'll wreck it.

Know that the seal is the flare of the line NOT the threads of those nuts too. Everything is critical but don't mess up with brake stuff,



Aug 26, 2014, 1:16 PM

Post #3 of 4 (829 views)
Re: How are those named Sign In

Thanks a lot.

Hammer Time
Ultimate Carjunky / Moderator
Hammer Time profile image

Aug 26, 2014, 1:17 PM

Post #4 of 4 (828 views)
Re: How are those named Sign In

Also called "tubing wrenches". The slot is so it will slide over the line and grab better than an open end would.


We offer help in answering questions, clarifying things or giving advice but we are not a substitute for an on-site inspection by a professional.

  Email This Post

Feed Button

Search for (options) Privacy Sitemap