Main IndexAuto Repair Home Search Posts SEARCH
Who's Online WHO'S
Log in LOG

Search Auto Parts

underhood fuse panel

  Email This Post

New User

May 24, 2011, 3:53 AM

Post #1 of 3 (2122 views)
underhood fuse panel Sign In

My 1997 silverado, 2WD, 5.7, engine has under 10,000, the truck has about 125,000. It stalled on the freeway and doing a quick check on the side of the road, the underhood fuse panel, the socket where the fuel pump relay plugs in, has melting around one prong. Melting is both on the relay and the panel. It looks as though this is NOT a shadetree repair. Where can I get the part and is this something only a dealer should do? Is there a jumper proceedure just to get it to the shop? Anything will help. Thanks. Joe

Hammer Time
Ultimate Carjunky / Moderator
Hammer Time profile image

May 24, 2011, 7:09 AM

Post #2 of 3 (2107 views)
Re: underhood fuse panel Sign In

Repairing a damaged fuse box can be very difficult and has to be rebuilt wire by wire. This is something that you should let the dealer take care of so you don't have to worry about a fire in the future. You don't want to attempt to jump anything. That is dangerous. You can try to tighten the contact with a pick to get it to work long enough to get to the dealer but if you can't do that, then towing it is the best option.


We offer help in answering questions, clarifying things or giving advice but we are not a substitute for an on-site inspection by a professional.

Mr.scotty profile image

May 24, 2011, 4:59 PM

Post #3 of 3 (2100 views)
Re: underhood fuse panel Sign In

Save your self from more problems and just get the thing towed.
And make sure what ever caused it to burn up in the first place is fixed.

Your only as good as your tools!

  Email This Post

Feed Button

Search for (options) Privacy Sitemap