1. Turn the ignition switch
to the OFF position to unlock the steering column.
2. Raise and support the vehicle. Refer to Vehicle Lifting.
3. Remove front shield if equipped. Refer to Shield Replacement.
4. Drain front Differential. Refer to Lubricant Change.
5. Install plastic tie straps loosely over the ends of the front stabilizer shaft and under the center of each halfshaft bar. Do not tighten. Important:
Observe and accurately reference mark all driveline components relative to the propeller shaft and axles before disassembly. All components must be reassembled in the exact location to each other as they were when removed.
6. Reference mark the relationship of the propeller shaft to the front axle.
7. Remove the front propeller shaft retainers.
8. Remove the front propeller shaft from the front axle yoke and secure it out of the way.
9. For some models, remove the engine oil filter.
10. Remove the bolts (1) securing the halfshaft flanges to the differential assembly.
11. Remove the pitman arm from the relay rod. Refer to Pitman Arm Replacement (S4WD) in Steering and Suspension.
12. Move pitman arm to the left for clearance.
13. Push relay rod forward and up for clearance.
14. Support the front differential.
15. Remove the front drive axle inner shaft housing nuts (3), washers (2), and bolts (1) from the differential mounting bracket.
16. Disconnect front axle actuator
17. Remove the vent hose from the front axle. Important:
Place plastic tie straps around the center of the halfshaft assembly, contacting only the halfshaft bar.
18. Tighten the plastic tie straps to support the inner halfshaft ends.
19. Remove upper differential carrier
mounting nut (5), washers (6) and bolt (8).
20. Remove lower differential carrier mounting nut (3), washers (2), and bolt (9).
21. Remove front axle from vehicle.