Main IndexAuto Repair Home Search Posts SEARCH
Who's Online WHO'S
Log in LOG

Search Auto Parts

Question about expired registration/out of state registration

  Email This Post

New User

Sep 27, 2010, 4:27 PM

Post #1 of 3 (2407 views)
Question about expired registration/out of state registration Sign In

Hi there-
I have sort of a complicated issue concerning my car, I'm hoping someone on here can offer some good tips and problem solving steps.

I am from PA, and moved to CA last summer for an internship. I brought my 1995 Toyota Paseo with me. While the car has always been reliable, it began to gradually have issues and being that I am a struggling graduate student, I was not able to maintain it regularly. The car's inspection was due in August, and has since expired. Partially due to financial issues, and also because I moved to southern california--did not take car w/ me, it is parked by my boyfriend's house in Northern Ca, do not feel safe driving it a long distance!)

A couple of things- my family can not find the title for the car. It is registered in my father's name, so the title is in his name as well. I realize I can easily do this online, but the time it takes to get the paperwork back is ridiculous. So there's that issue. Also, if I decide to get the car fixed, how do I go about switching it over to Ca registration and tags since it has an expired registration from PA?

I appreciate any feedback. I'm really worried about this issue and just want to deal with it.

Hammer Time
Ultimate Carjunky / Moderator
Hammer Time profile image

Sep 27, 2010, 4:36 PM

Post #2 of 3 (2402 views)
Re: Question about expired registration/out of state registration Sign In

The fact that it is expired in PA will have no bearing on the transfer but you will have to produce the title to get one issued from CA.


We offer help in answering questions, clarifying things or giving advice but we are not a substitute for an on-site inspection by a professional.

Tom Greenleaf
Ultimate Carjunky / Moderator
Tom Greenleaf profile image

Sep 28, 2010, 12:30 AM

Post #3 of 3 (2391 views)
Re: Question about expired registration/out of state registration Sign In

Where are you planning to live when college is done? If you want to have it registered in PA that you can do but any tags or stickers for the tags should go to a PA address and mailed to you.

Issue with an inspection sticker?? Gosh - rules change quickly at least here in MA. There's 7 day grace if you transfer ownership to you to get a sticker (safety and emissions) here and bet there. If you are planning to live in PA after college then perhaps wait for final registration till right before you go. You could own it by title and if like here register it on line and make the run for it and be all legal.

Do have someone run the car now and then now. Move it, hit the brakes, allow it to warm up even if in a tight parking area new position for tires and brakes will help.

Check on oil change services that come to the car. Absolutely check tire pressure and spare. You may want to spend one trip before you leave to have the car checked out before an about 3,000 mile run. Have AAA or some national motor club membership.

If staying in CA then you need to transfer ownership I would guess. Here you have like 60-90 days if you've moved here from out of state to do that.

For current and local rules an insurance agent could be a world of current know how and suggestions of what to do and stay legal.

Try hard to stay legal. I can only imagine the nighmare of being out of state or part way with something wrong and fixing it then.

More - If sitting a long time get someone to add some fuel stabilizer asap.

Good luck. I know all this cost money that's in short supply but getting in trouble costs tons more!


  Email This Post

Feed Button

Search for (options) Privacy Sitemap