Main IndexAuto Repair Home Search Posts SEARCH
Who's Online WHO'S
Log in LOG

Search Auto Parts

What to do with a donor car?

  Email This Post

New User

Sep 27, 2013, 12:11 AM

Post #1 of 2 (882 views)
What to do with a donor car? Sign In

OK - need some advice. I have a 1995 Isuzu Rodeo that threw a crank bearing. Not worth repairing. But I just bought an identical model/year rodeo and plan to keep the first one for donor parts as needed. This brings up some questions:

Can I stop insuring the donor vehicle?
Can I declare it "totaled" and not pay property tax on it?
ANy other issues or advice?


Tom Greenleaf
Ultimate Carjunky / Moderator
Tom Greenleaf profile image

Sep 27, 2013, 1:01 AM

Post #2 of 2 (868 views)
Re: What to do with a donor car? Sign In

This stuff will vary place by place. If allowed to have a "salvage" motor vehicle for parts or whatever the heck you want it for ( a yard ornament?) then I don't see why you need to register and insure it.

It's registering a car to have the plates where I am specifically that triggers need for insurance, hence a residual tax of 2.5% / year based on the original value of the car when new.

Again local rules/laws even a shell of what was a motor vehicle will be a separate liability from any dwelling insurance rented or owned so a rock and a hard place but said that's right where I am not everywhere.

Simply, you need to check locally what the rules are,


  Email This Post

Feed Button

Search for (options) Privacy Sitemap