Main IndexAuto Repair Home Search Posts SEARCH
Who's Online WHO'S
Log in LOG

Search Auto Parts

putting 302 in 66 mustang

  Email This Post

Anonymous Poster

Apr 3, 2009, 5:59 PM

Post #1 of 3 (2086 views)
putting 302 in 66 mustang Sign In

i just got a 66 mustang, my frien got me a 302 and auto tranny to go inot it, it is a 1987 motor out of a mustang, it has the fuel injection on it now, i want to take that off and put a aluminum intake and 2bbl carb on it, then put a regular dist. with a mallory box. will this work, can i use the dist. that is on the motor now, what else do i need to change if anything, thank you.

Tom Greenleaf
Ultimate Carjunky / Moderator
Tom Greenleaf profile image

Apr 4, 2009, 1:23 AM

Post #2 of 3 (2082 views)
Re: putting 302 in 66 mustang Sign In

The 66 was available with a 289 - shares quite a bit with a 302/5.0 but unless you have the whole donor car this will be the headache of the decade IMO. Trans would have been a C-4 in 66 - a good trans and all bets are off for swapping to the 80s without all the gadgets from the donor and it's driveshaft to cut/weld - supports to create etc.

These two cars really don't share anything but a name so you know,


Loren Champlain Sr
Veteran / Moderator
Loren Champlain Sr profile image

Apr 4, 2009, 4:32 PM

Post #3 of 3 (2074 views)
Re: putting 302 in 66 mustang Sign In

As Tom mentioned, the biggest fear will be the trans. As far as the engine, you'll need to use a pre-computer (1980 or older) distributor for the 302. Unless you already have a manifold and carb, you might look into an Edelbrock performer manifold and carb. Very nice combination, and relatively inexpensive.
Which engine and trans does the '66 have in it, now?
SW Washington

  Email This Post

Feed Button

Search for (options) Privacy Sitemap