Main IndexAuto Repair Home Search Posts SEARCH
POSTS
Who's Online WHO'S
ONLINE
Log in LOG
IN









Search Auto Parts

Shorted out Starter


  Email This Post



WRA
New User

Jan 21, 2018, 12:14 PM

Post #1 of 3 (403 views)
post icon Shorted out Starter Sign In

Frown A friend of mine hits his starter on a 1994 PT Cruser to get it to start at times..... he hit it with a steel rod and accidentally hit the wire on the starter and the hot wire on the battery got really hot and NOW nothing works, Can you give any advise as what to try to do to fix this problem ???? Thank You in advance for your help, Wanda


Tom Greenleaf
Ultimate Carjunky / Moderator
Tom Greenleaf profile image

Jan 21, 2018, 1:49 PM

Post #2 of 3 (392 views)
Re: Shorted out Starter Sign In

Arggh: OK - that trick is really best as a last resort and stuff happens. Usually means you need the starter but now this?


Just where did what get hot? At the battery is a u-bolt isn't very great when new IMO and a lousy connection there MAY have just burned that out. "Hot wire" on battery you mean positive no doubt so first SINCE "nothing" works check with a DVOM or even an incandescent test light if battery's post will light/show voltage at all and again from the u-bolt (clamp) for the same.


It's probably trashed right there would be great to prove it first IMO. Time to clean up or replace cables do remember to take negative OFF first and back ON last when messing with cables at all and clean up the battery terminals. Also suggest charging it and having it checked but charge with a charger with auto shut off. Would like to see a load test on it ask many outlets may or may not be able to load test properly. The whole thing is one weak link and "motors" which the starter is if running on inadequate power fries them so you were whacking in the first place almost always is caused by poor AMPS delivered,


T



Hammer Time
Ultimate Carjunky / Moderator
Hammer Time profile image

Jan 21, 2018, 6:41 PM

Post #3 of 3 (384 views)
Re: Shorted out Starter Sign In

He has likely burned out a fusible link or Maxi fuse.



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

We offer help in answering questions, clarifying things or giving advice but we are not a substitute for an on-site inspection by a professional.







  Email This Post
 
 


Feed Button




Search for (options) Privacy Sitemap