Main IndexAuto Repair Home Search Posts SEARCH
POSTS
Who's Online WHO'S
ONLINE
Log in LOG
IN






Search Auto Parts

brake fade


  Email This Post



allen421
New User

Mar 3, 2019, 2:44 PM

Post #1 of 2 (276 views)
brake fade Sign In

OK I HAVE I 97 GMC SIERRA 1500 2WD, 5.7 LITER. ISSUE IS THE BRAKES. I NOTICE WHEN COMIG TO A STOP THAT I HAVE TO KEEP APPLYING MORE PRESSURE UNTIL I COME TO A STOP. WHILE STOPPED THE BRAKES FADE AND THE TRUCK WILL START EASING FORWARD. IF JUST SITTING IN PARK I CAN PUT MY FOOT ON THE BRAKE, GET RESISTANCE BUT THEN THE PEDAL WILL START SLOWLY EASING TO THE FLOOR. IM NOT A "MECHANIC" BUT IM VERY MECHANICALLY INCLINED. HAVE JUST NEVER FOOLRD WITH BRAKES MUCH OTHER THAN CHANGING PADS, BLEEDING OR JUST GENERAL MAINTAINANCE. JUST DONT WANNA START IN THE WRONG PLACE. ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED BEFORE I START WASTING MY. THANKS IN ADVANCE


Hammer Time
Ultimate Carjunky / Moderator
Hammer Time profile image

Mar 3, 2019, 5:41 PM

Post #2 of 2 (266 views)
Re: brake fade Sign In

OK, all caps isn't necessary.

First, check the fluid level and see if it is losing any fluid. If it is, find the leak and repair it.

If the pedal is dropping and the car is not losing fluid, we call that "bypassing". There are 2 causes of that. 90% of the time that is a bad master cylinder. The other 10% of the time, it can be bypassing inside of the ABS hydraulic control unit. It's nearly impossible to isolate which one it is so the first step is usually to replace the master cylinder. Be prepared when you do that that you will likely need a professional level scan tool to bleed the system electronically to get the air out of the ABS unit.



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

We offer help in answering questions, clarifying things or giving advice but we are not a substitute for an on-site inspection by a professional.







  Email This Post
 
 


Feed Button




Search for (options) Privacy Sitemap