Main IndexAuto Repair Home Search Posts SEARCH
POSTS
Who's Online WHO'S
ONLINE
Log in LOG
IN









Search Auto Parts

FREEZE FRAME


  Email This Post



Amber13037
New User

Oct 28, 2019, 6:00 AM

Post #1 of 7 (521 views)
post icon FREEZE FRAME Sign In

2006 Chevy Malibu LT 4 cyl. Is coding P0420 and is giving me a freeze frame reading that I have not a clue how to read but would like to make my own repairs. I have already replaced 02 sensor and cat. Converter. I do have an exhaust leak but is that the actual reason for the code?

DTCFRZF P0420
FUELSYS1 OL
FUELSYS2 NA
LOAD_PCT% 16.5
ETC. 189 F
SHRTFT1 0.0
LONGFT1 0.0
MAP (inhg) 11.2
RPM ( /min) 776
VSS (mph) 0
SPARKADV 2
IAF (F) 54
MAF (lblmin) 0.533
TP (%) 27.1

If anyone can help me read this to tell me what the possible issue is I would greatly appreciate it!


(This post was edited by Amber13037 on Oct 28, 2019, 6:44 AM)


Hammer Time
Ultimate Carjunky / Moderator
Hammer Time profile image

Oct 28, 2019, 6:39 AM

Post #2 of 7 (517 views)
Re: FREEZE FRAME Sign In

None of that stuff really matters in this situation.

The P0420 means that your bank 1 or only Catalytic Converter is no longer doing it's job. In order to set this code the rear 0/2 sensor and the upstream 0/2 sensor have to mirror each other for a period of time meaning there is no chemical change after passing through the Cat. 99% of the time, this is a bad Converter. The other 1% it can be caused by an air leak between the two sensors, very rare.



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

We offer help in answering questions, clarifying things or giving advice but we are not a substitute for an on-site inspection by a professional.



Amber13037
New User

Oct 28, 2019, 6:47 AM

Post #3 of 7 (510 views)
Re: FREEZE FRAME Sign In

I’ve replaced all three what are the odds of a bad 02 sensor?


Hammer Time
Ultimate Carjunky / Moderator
Hammer Time profile image

Oct 28, 2019, 6:50 AM

Post #4 of 7 (508 views)
Re: FREEZE FRAME Sign In

Replaced all 3 what?



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

We offer help in answering questions, clarifying things or giving advice but we are not a substitute for an on-site inspection by a professional.



Tom Greenleaf
Ultimate Carjunky / Moderator
Tom Greenleaf profile image

Oct 28, 2019, 7:15 AM

Post #5 of 7 (504 views)
Re: FREEZE FRAME Sign In

Quote from top ">I do have an exhaust leak <"
How about fix that first then deal with codes?


T



Amber13037
New User

Oct 28, 2019, 7:45 AM

Post #6 of 7 (497 views)
Re: FREEZE FRAME Sign In

Both 02 sensors and the cat converter


Hammer Time
Ultimate Carjunky / Moderator
Hammer Time profile image

Oct 28, 2019, 8:25 AM

Post #7 of 7 (489 views)
Re: FREEZE FRAME Sign In

As I stated in my first answer, an exhaust leak is one of the things that will cause that code. It introduces oxygen that corrupts the sensor readings.



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

We offer help in answering questions, clarifying things or giving advice but we are not a substitute for an on-site inspection by a professional.







  Email This Post
 
 


Feed Button




Search for (options) Privacy Sitemap