Main IndexAuto Repair Home Search Posts SEARCH
POSTS
Who's Online WHO'S
ONLINE
Log in LOG
IN









Search Auto Parts

Burning smell and battery light came on the other day


  Email This Post



ksteele
New User

Aug 9, 2016, 4:20 PM

Post #1 of 5 (2543 views)
Burning smell and battery light came on the other day Sign In

i just recently replaced my shot alternator and battery 2 weeks ago but 2 days ago while I was driving around i smelled a burning smell come through my ac on and off for about and hour or so. it went away for about 30 mins after and thats when My battery light came on. Im trying to fix it and diagnose it myself before I let the dealership rob me again lol


Discretesignals
Ultimate Carjunky / Moderator
Discretesignals profile image

Aug 9, 2016, 4:22 PM

Post #2 of 5 (2539 views)
Re: Burning smell and battery light came on the other day Sign In

Year, make, mode, and engine size? Have you inspected the work you did? Check the wiring and cables at the alternator. Make sure nothing is grounding out. You might want to disconnect your battery until you find the problem. You don't want your vehicle burning to the ground.





Since we volunteer our time and knowledge, we ask for you to please follow up when a problem is resolved.

(This post was edited by Discretesignals on Aug 9, 2016, 4:23 PM)


ksteele
New User

Aug 9, 2016, 6:11 PM

Post #3 of 5 (2532 views)
Re: Burning smell and battery light came on the other day Sign In

2010 dodge charger sxt 3.5L


koontzy
User

Aug 9, 2016, 8:23 PM

Post #4 of 5 (2525 views)
Re: Burning smell and battery light came on the other day Sign In

i just had this with one of my trucks if you have added any thing like lights, radio you may be pulling more amps than your alternator is rated for or you could have a short most cars seam to run at the max amprige of the factory alternators or at least that's what i found in my study's


ksteele
New User

Aug 23, 2016, 8:44 PM

Post #5 of 5 (2475 views)
Burning smell and battery light came on the other day Sign In

Update: I checked the battery connections and noticed that the alternator mount that I removed previously was very close to touching my battery connections ( my battery is in the trunk BTW) it could have overloaded somehow because when I removed my alternator this past week I noticed that the plastic housing that surrounds the ground wire had melted the plastic and had burnt marks on it. I had a diagnostic ran on it and a local trusted mehanic shop by my apt. They said that my alternator was shot. so I replaced it and so far its no burning smell or Battery light on at the moment. I'll keep you guys updated if something happens






  Email This Post
 
 


Feed Button




Search for (options) Privacy Sitemap